One of the quickest ways to improve the look of your home is to have your roof cleaned. Getting rid of the moss and anything else lurking about up there can transform the look of your home. Imagine having your roof cleaned, and it looked brand-new again.
How Are Roofs Cleaned and What’s Involved?
There are a few different ways of cleaning a roof, and each method has its own set of drawbacks.
- A lot of roof cleaning companies prefer to use a power washer to clean the roof. Using our pressure washer to clean the roof tiles can create a lot of mess time below on the ground. The high-pressure power washer blows about the moss, dirt, and lichen and it usually falls below. Pressure washing roof tiles can also damage the tiles and is not suitable to use in some cases.
- The other method is to use a soft yard brush and a scraper to remove the moss from the roof manually.
It does not matter which method is used, but there is no escaping the fact that some preparatory work is needed. It is essential to sheet up anything that may get damaged during the cleaning work. Scaffolding will have to be arranged and assembled for access to the roof.
When the job is complete, the next logical step is to apply moss killer to the roof tiles. The moss killer will stop the moss from growing back again. There are other options available such as sealants and coatings to enhance the look of your roof.
Why do People Have Their Roofs Cleaned?
Most people who have their roofs cleaned tend to have it cleaned for aesthetic reasons. That’s not to say that a severe build-up of lichen, dirt, and moss on the roof will not shorten the lifespan of the tiles.
Getting Quotes for Roof Cleaning Prices
To find out the average cost of roof cleaning prices in the UK your first step is to get some quotes. The least amount of quotes you should get is at least three. If you would like to be more thorough so you can compare roof cleaning prices, you can get as many as you want.
If you are speaking to someone on the phone from a roof cleaning company, make sure you give him or her as much information as you can. It might be a good idea to take some photos of your roof and send them to the company so they can see how bad it is. The company in most cases will want to come out and have a look for themselves before providing you with a quote.
How Much Does it Cost to Have a Roof Cleaned?
There are many different factors to take into account before you can figure out the costs of having a roof cleaned.
The most significant factor to take into account is, which part of the country do you live? If you live in London, you can expect to pay more because the cost of living is much higher than the rest of the country. Generally, the more populated the city you live in, the more competition there is for tradespeople. Believe it or not, even simple things like car parking can affect the final cost. All costs are taken into account.
- You could expect to pay roughly £400 – £500 for a one-man roofing company in London to clean your roof.
- A business based in the Midlands or the South will have lower costs than in the capital. The prices in these parts of the country could average about £350.
- As you go up north the cost for cleaning a roof decreases from what it is in the South of the country. A small one-man operation can charge as low as £300.
- A general rule of thumb is the larger the company, the higher the price. Above I only wrote about a small one-man roof cleaning businesses. Below I will provide you with a guideline for roof cleaning costs from medium-sized companies who employ up to 5 people.
- A medium-sized business based in London is likely to charge you up to £600 to clean your roof.
- In the Midlands and the south of the country, you can expect to pay roughly £450-£500.
- The further you go up north the price tends to drop and could be around £400.
A large roofing company that has ten employees or more will have higher costs than a small to medium-sized company. Larger companies have higher overheads to pay.
- If you live in the north of the country, you can expect to pay £450-£550 for a large company to clean your roof.
- In the Midlands and the south of the country the going rates seem to be about £550-£650.
- A London based roofing company can charge as much as £850.
The following factors can also affect the price:
- the roof needs a lot of repairs
- the roof has a large buildup of dirt and moss
- what type of roof it is
- does the roof have difficult access
- will the roof be power washed or cleaned manually with scrapers
Save Money! Get FREE no Obligation Roof Cleaning Quotes and Choose the Best One! Enter Your Details Below!
How Long Does it Take to Clean a Roof?
Every roof is different in size. What type of roof tiles are on the roof? How much moss, lichen, and dirt have accumulated on the roof over the years? Some roofs have difficult access making it more difficult to complete the job.
An experienced roof cleaning company should have no trouble looking at your roof and giving you an accurate estimate of how long it will take.
Is it Okay to Have a go Yourself?
There is a reason why you don’t often see people getting their ladders out and get up on their roof start cleaning it. For the majority of people, working at heights is quite scary and do not feel safe doing so.
Cleaning the moss and dirt from a roof isn’t a particularly hard job. It doesn’t require expensive specialist equipment either. The only major drawback of doing this job yourself is that it’s so high up. One fall could seriously injure you or even kill you.
The majority of people now working on a roof can be dangerous especially if you have no experience. Professional roof cleaning services hire experienced tradesman who are used to working at heights. Experience roofers know their safety precautions and how to stop them from falling. They are trained to use harnesses and ropes, and scaffolding.
Cleaning your own roof isn’t really considered to be a DIY job. Unless you are an experienced roofer, it is much safer to call in the professionals rather than trying to do it yourself.
How to Avoid Rogue Tradesmen
You will want to avoid rogue tradesmen. Many rogue tradesmen will have a go at anything to make some quick money. Most of them do not have any formal training and take unnecessary risks. Statistics show that up to a quarter of Britain’s have been scammed by rogue traders at some point.
Making the wrong choice may cause disastrous consequences. You could end up paying well over the odds or getting someone who doesn’t know how to do the job properly. The worst-case scenario is they take your money upfront and leave without doing any work.
To make sure you do all you can to avoid having a rogue trader knock on your door, please read the following advice:
- If it sounds too good, it usually is. I am referring to the quotation for cleaning your roof. Low quotes are the rogue trader’s way of getting work. You have read examples above about how much you can expect to pay dependent upon which part of the country you live in. If you get quotes that are way below the average cost of roof cleaning, then I would be on my guard.
- Read reviews. If you are happy with a quote that has been presented to you check out the name of the company online. Go to Google and search for the name of the company. Type “reviews” at the end of your search query like this – Joe Bloggs business name reviews. In most cases, you will find at least one or two reviews. Ideally, you will want to read positive reviews. Reading reviews will help you build a mental picture of what you can expect from this company.
- Use a reputable tradesman’s site which provides online quotes. The most trusted sites will give you a guarantee of quality tradespeople. Reputable trade websites will only deal with professionals. The best websites will vet their tradesmen. The tradesmen will provide insurance certificates and other credentials.
- Ask neighbours, friends, and family if they know anyone who has had their roofs cleaned recently. They will be hard to spot; they will be the ones who look like they have a brand-new roof installed. Ask if they can recommend anyone who they have dealt with personally and were happy with the service.
After reading these simple steps, you are well on your way to having a nice clean roof again. It is great to be able to walk up to your home and feel refreshed looking at it instead of dreading having to deal with it someday.